Thursday, August 11, 2005

Sense and Sensibilities

I picked a fight with some twerp in another blogging country. He replied to my post in that site regarding this UP guy who doesn't want to flaunt his Atenean heritage. I told him that most of my friends in UP are Ateneans and we had the grandest time in Diliman. Ateneans were just being labeled as assholes and prudish...why not break through the stereotype? Then, this dumbass UP guy replied:


what's wrong with being an atenean? I came from the grade school and I really learned a lot. Not to be mayabang or anything but you could see the difference between a person who came from a private elementary school or not with the way they act upon the smallest of things. I hoped I don't get flamed (again).


He didn't got flamed (What does this mean? Sunog? Please, spare me.) I torched him. I called him all possible names you can be called in hell. He introduced a completely tangential point and it hit my social consciousness right between the eyes.

Well, I guess when you're a medical doctor spending the last 2-3 years serving the marginalized members of the society, your sensibilities change. Being poor is definitely not a choice for some people and there's a lot of people who take their social status for granted. I can still hear my professors in medschool preaching: "Give your patients the dignity they deserve. Especially the poor and the tax payers...they are the ones who sent you to school." Although my parents are the ones who always REMIND me that there are debts to be paid, I am truthfully and honestly grateful to the hoardes of patients who let themselves be examined, questioned, sutured, IE-ed, casted, etc. when I was in PGH. And most of them are poor. And did not even attend co-ed schools like Sacre!

Call me high-strung or even weird. I guess it's the weather. And my age is becoming a factor, too. But this guy needs some serious straightening up. UP pa naman sya.

No comments: