Thursday, December 15, 2005

Swamped with work

I haven't been posting for the longest time, sorry about that. I just learned that I have a lot of readers of my blog. Wow, man, that's great. It inspired me to write a lot more. As of now, I have a dec 20 deadline of an ICON article, which, I haven't started. My editor was giving me THE EYE last night at the ICON christmas party, so I better sit down--soon--and give it a whack. But before everthing else...blog maintenance day.

Christmas season has been great for me. During the first week of December, I had no work. I ran out of hospitals to moonlight to. Thinking of our boracay trip this December, I was pretty anxious where to get the money for the trip. Our projected budget is a 5-digit amount and at that time, I could barely make it to a 4. Haha. That's how poor I can get. But God was really good to me. But before everything else, I went to charity free clinic at the start of the month. I guess that made the knocking on heaven's door. And God heard my plea: I need a job. 5 days after, I was given a set of duties in a hospital in Sta Rosa.

Yeah, I know. It's a good 200km distance from home but the trip was really worth it. The money is good and the duty is not that toxic. I am the only resident in the hospital and I take care of all ER patients. I admit patients when needed. Its also a trauma center so I am forced to unearth my buried-six-feet-under-the-ground surgical skills. So far the most wretched thing I did was to attempt to place a chest tube in a DOA (dead on arrival) patient. This patient had 8 stab wounds: 3 in the chest, 3 in the abdomen and 2 defense wounds on the arm. In the course of resuscitation, I acted on impulse and inserted a chest tube on the side where his injuries are. All throughout, the patient had no blood pressure and no heart rate. I figured a chest tube will help him out. But when I inserted the tube, there was minimal output...well, too scant to cause sudden death. And then I realized that the stab injury to the sternum most probably have caused a hemopericardium (blood in the heart sac) or more seriously, a ruptured heart. At point, I can't do anything. I just have to surrender him to God's hands.

Well for a few minutes, I was deep in thought if I really did everything to save this patient. But, I guess 8 stab wounds will really kill you.

So, that's my latest heroic effort so far. Well, heroic ATTEMPT. As for my other jobs, I was given a slot in OsMun as an OB resident, which is actually better than pediatrics because there's two of us per duty. Pedia residency in that hospital can kill, man. I lost 5 pounds in a week after going on duty twice.

Aside from duties, I am still contributing to ICON magazine. Then, I have a job interview tomorrow at CMPMedica for a writing project. Our wedding coordinating business is doing good also. We have a lot of wedding projects next year. Three major ones to be exact. And I am still waiting for a confirmation from a friend.

Regarding my US application, I still want to try to apply for another tourist visa. I need to take the Step 3 exam because the shit is non-refundable. I can extend it, though. If I fail in my second attempt, there's still scramble on March. If everything goes to trash after that, I'll probably do my residency here and attempt to do fellowship in the States.

For all concerned, I do feel good. Happy, but still incomplete. You know what I mean. It's great if I have someone as I go through this life. *big sigh*

Happy holidays everyone!

No comments: