Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The Unbearable Lightness of Being


I started out reading this novel as soon as I got back to my room. I've been dozing off again, day in and day out. I tried to free myself with any concerns for the moment and I want to start fresh tomorrow.

I thought it was a hard read. Something like Hundred Years of Solitude. But it is an insightful chronicle of a doctor with two women in his life. I only got as far as page 21 on my first day and I haven't read that much yet, so I cannot disclose the story any further.

What amuses me is how the author keeps striking me on the right places. He started with the discussion between lightness and heaviness. The heavy weight in our shoulder weighs us down and drives us closer to earth. Lightness, on the other hand, makes us free of weight and allows us to move freely and to dance in the air. So, which one is better? And I had to grin, look up and say "Oo nga naman". Adversities make us human. Without it, we're just a feather in the wind, a spectator in life. And then, there's this point when the lead was thinking if he would follow his love (Tereza) in Switzerland. He ponders that "If a man keeps on thinking of leaving his home, he is truly unhappy" and he wants to follow Tereza realizng: "We only have one life to live. We do everything once and we do it with our whole heart. There is no rehearsal in real life." Within the 21 pages of bound paper, I started to like Milan Kundera.

Sorry, if I started out this blog with a book review. And then posting a picture of Boracay on top. Sometimes, I can be a REAL scatter brain. Well, yeah, most of the time.

My boracay duty wasn't as "exciting" as before. No trauma, no deliveries, no conduction to Kalibo on a dark stormy night (the last one ALMOST happened to me, it wasn't stormy that time). But, I was so delighted to see one of the babies I helped delivered during my last duties. Tada! That's Heather right there. 5 months old right now. I didn't ask permission from mommy if I could blog her but I guess it wouldn't hurt. She is just so cute! Can't stop raving about her. Ha ha. Although the island was packed with celebrities for Halloween, I didn't see a single one. I was stuck in the clinic and somehow hoping one would come to see us for a consult. Well, only wish that they would consult for minor injuries such as sunburn or nic-nic bites. Nothing serious. I am not that evil.

Leaving boracay was not as hard as it was before. I was craving for company. Girlie was more than fine but I was stuck with a freaking closet case all the time. Geez. Now, I appreciate all the friends I have. Even the straight ones. Especially the ones who appreciate, tolerate and accept who I am. At first it was okay, but it was a freaking disaster afterwards. Honestly, I didn't expect a clash of ego at the end. He was driving me out of his closet and locked himself in, alone in a self-adoring moment with himself. What a fucking loser. And as I've said to my friend Kit: I don't hang out with losers.

Anyway, I am glad to be back. Can't wait for the Madonna Album launch party on Friday.

No comments: