Wednesday, June 18, 2008

For the Country....

I found this in my mailbox this morning and I agree with the list...starting from item number 1. Read on.

I found a book worth sharing "12 Little Things every Filipino Can Do To Help our Country" - Alexander L. Lacson
1. Follow traffic rules. Follow the law.
2. Whenever you buy or pay for anything, always ASK FOR AN OFFICIAL RECEIPT.
3. Don't buy smuggled goods. BUY LOCAL, buy Filipino.
4. When you talk to others, especially foreigners, speak POSITIVELY about us and our country
5. Respect your traffic enforcer, policeman and soldier
6. DO NOT LITTER. Dispose your garbage properly. Segregate, Recycle, Conserve.
7. Support your Church.
8. During elections, do your solemn duty.
9. Pay your employees well.
10. Pay your Taxes.
11. ADOPT A SCHOLAR or a POOR CHILD.
12. BE A GOOD PARENT. Teach your kids to follow the law and love our country.

I like his number 1. I totally agree that the traffic in the Philippines is setting us back. Traffic decreases productivity, since you come to work late, stressed and have to wake up really early to avoid it, but you keep running to it every friggin' day. I suffered, too, when I was in Manila. I hate it especially when I realize that somebody who get paid the same money in the same workplace woke up 30 minutes ago. My mom would always say, "You'll get used to it, cause I got used to it." As you can imagine, it will be another round of debate with my mom.

Disobeying traffic laws also show that we pinoys don't really care about each other. Its the lack of empathy and compassion for our fellow pinoys that make pinoy drivers crazy. Its always the race to the finish. It's always about claiming my right of way. Dog eats dog even in the street.

Buying smuggled goods is another past time for the Filipinos. I don't know anyone who hasn't been to 168. That's the bastion of smuggled goods in the country and it kills local industries. Greenhills is another smuggled goods heaven. People who buy from the tiangge are just condoning their business plus allow themselves to be fooled by rediculously jacked-up prices for imitation products. I agree, it doesn't help the economy at all.

I particularly hate Filipinos in the US who has nothing but bad comments about our country. Man, if you had a tough life in the Philippines, don't blame the country alone; blame yourself, too. I mean, the Philippines has a bad government, the worst traffic, the most corrupt officials, the dirtiest streets but my family and friends are there and I bet yours, too. Even though it's a shabby place, it is still home to me. I just don't have respect for Filipinos who bash our country without hesitation, nor remorse because I think the Philippines had enough of that. If you are in the States or anywhere abroad, or the Philippines doing good with your life, I guess we're in a better position than 90% of our fellowmen. It's enough reason to shut up.

Please feel free to share.

2 comments:

Frances said...

I totally agree. Whenever I talk to foreigners, I talk about the Philippines like it is paradise. Once when I was in London for a conference, I was shivering in the cold and eating bland food. I finally exclaimed to my fellow conference attenders, "How can you live like this! In my country, the sun is always shining and the food is to die for!"

Haha, wala talaga akong manners =P

So kumusta na, Doc?

Anonymous said...

I have an aunt who now lives in NYC who's like that. She'd rant everytime we take her out. That big pizza we think is really good, she'd criticize. She'd tasted better daw. She'd say that Pinas is a God-forsaken place in front of people, who have no hope of ever experiencing a different life. True the Philippines is full of danger, dirt and decay, but she doesn't have to rub it in.