Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Caveat: US Embassy scam

I went to the embassy today for my visa interview.

Just so you know, they changed the policy about bringing cellphones and other electronic devices to the embassy. You can no longer leave them in the counter before entering the premises. If you are one ignorant bastard like me, it is ok to bring your cellphone or iPod. but you have to be ready to pay. I was shocked when manang the photographer/ballpen vendor/cedula maker offered me to hold my electronic devices for me until I am done....for the simple price of 150 pesos. Since, I don't have a choice, I gave in after scolding and reprimanding her about this abuse of opportunity.

And there's more...She had terms: the more entries you send, the more chances of paying! I handled her my iPod, and then she immediately blurted, "Naku sir, kailangan nyong magdagdag." I raised my right brow and started the usual litany about 1) being a doctor; 2) being a doctor from PGH and 3) karma. The last was a low blow, but, I had to make a point. Of course, I did not agree. I can only shell out P150 for everything and that's the only amount I could painstakingly give without strangling anyone.

Leave your electronics behind if you're coming for an interview, the 150 pesos is not worth the stress.

Thought you guys must know: I am all set to go.

No comments: