Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Have You Ever Had A Surprise Party?

Well, I mean, did your friends ever threw you a surprise party? The kind that they made you think you're one miserable bitch because they gave you lame reasons for not seeing you on the day you're supposed to celebrate? Are you getting me on this one? They text you: Oh, sorry I missed you last night. But I am sure we'll see you before you leave. Blah, blah, blah, but all the while they have this mischevious scheme of having that--hmm, attack--on the moment that you are least aware.

Have your friends painstakingly stalled you on a night that supposed to be a simple dinner? Well, later on it turns out to be something else, but you wonder, at that moment, if she is stalling or she actually was waiting for a patient? I was completely unsuspecting, despite the million short phone calls and secret texting, it was an ordinary night for dinner for me. Well, I did ask why she has to "reserve" a dinner for me in Pavillion, and later, why it has to be "moved" in Crowne? Mil, the orchestrator of all things planned, is one great hell of an actor I must say.

Have you ever been scammed like this? But hell, it was the best scam I've ever had. Especially I did not have a miniscule inkling of what's going on even to the last millisecond I flicked the door handle open. We were supposed to pick up a friend who checked-in the room, but why didn't he keep the lights on? That's when I saw the guilty one, my bestest friends in the world, their faces illuminated by three small candles, singing the you-know-what song in a low, muted voice while I stand there flabbergasted, dumbfounded. For the first time in my life, didn't know what to say. I shook my head. For five minutes.

Have you ever had that feeling? You were extremely happy, yet you can't help to think, why didn't I suspect anything? Why did I give them the satisfaction of succeeding in their deceit? I snapped out of these questions after a few blinks and a sigh. (literally. try it.) The overwhelming feeling of elation oversteps the rest. It trumped everything. Do I deserve all these? They keep telling me so. All I can say is 'okay'. It was one of the highlights of this year. Well, THE highlight of the year. I can't freaking beleeeeeve IT! I can't friggin' believe the effort. I can't completely believe the palabok, KFC chicken, Goldilocks cake and the Disney princess banner neatly laid out on the counter in front of the bed. I was shocked to see beautiful pink balloons ('It's a girl') strewn on the floor. I grew more silent as the clam pasta, rose wine (it was a pinot), red wine and vodka, dessert cakes, rotisserie chicken, yellow cab pizza kept pouring in. I feel like singing 'My favorite things'. I shook my head. For another 5 minutes.

It was one heck of a party. Each of them was one hell of a friend.

1 comment:

Dr.Peppermint said...

i LOVE surprise parties. lucky enough for me, my HS friends and my family always schemed together to throw me one. dati catered pa. :) ang saya. haven't had the chance to throw one yet. stel's been hinting about one. haha. :p