Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Week 2: The Last Boracay Stint

Wait. Wrong title. I dont want to say that this is the last EVER. Maybe last stint for the year...or the season...whatever.

My nose is stuffed tonight and I think I am bound for a headache. It's already 12 midnight and I have to do tons of stuff. Well, I just have to do a Personal Statement for my residency application. I find it hard, I must say, since I have to be formal and conscious about my thoughts. Blast those blog writing skills for now. And I've been putting this off for the last couple of days. Despite the burden on my back, I still decided to write here first. Hoping to jumpstart the creative juices.

My first week here is not that exciting. There's only a few consults...around 15-20 a day, most of it locals and mostly, trivial cases. I finished 2 books already: Farenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury) and The Reader (Bernard Schlink). I definitely consider the latter one the best books I've read this year. Well-constructed sentences, good plot, very detailed analysis of the protagonists' conflict. And, very concise--not a sentence wasted in each paragraph. It's a memoir of a German professor who fell in love with a 36 year woman when he was 15. It was a very honest, sexual relationship and both were happy. He read to her during the time they were together. One morning he found out she was gone. They met again 10 years after, in a courtroom, he was a law student while she was defending herself for being a prison guard in Auswitz during the Holocaust. The subject of the Holocaust made me so interested in the story.

Not because I like anarchy. I empathize with the Jews in this big bruhaha. I admire the spirit of those who survived. I constantly wonder how could somebody be capable to do such brutality. Ever since I read Elie Weisel's book Night, I got caught in the emotions of the Jews who survived the Holocaust. I savored films like Schindler's List and Sophie's Choice. My interest peaked when I went to the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC. The very bastion of the Holocaust memory built by Elie Weisel himself. Going through the exhibits was a real tearjerker if you ask me about it, especially for someone in the profession of saving lives.

Before I went here in Boracay, I thought, "Geez, I never had any patient from show business, I wish I will have one this time." Yesterday, I found a celebrity couple waiting for me in the clinic. It took me quite a while to fix his problem but I did it anyhow. I stole a couple of snapshots from them and got an invitation to their newly opened business in D'Mall. It was great to be superhero again.

Tomorrow, there will be a whole bunch of public officials who will be having a summit on the island. I'm already excited to do housecalls. I just hope everybody brought their medications and will stay out of Jack Daniel's reach. Please --let there be no MIs in my island!!

No comments: