Monday, October 10, 2005

Angels in America

I just watched Angels in America (the HBO movie). Depressing shit, man. The script is profound, although insightful. I just hate to hear the republican/democrat bullshit from them. I just don't give a damn about that. I could imagine the play. I would categorize it to the same trashbin where the play "Death in the Form of a Rose" should really be dumped in. I don't understand these playrights: they present life in its most abstract form. Telling a profound tale to the uninitiated. Most of the time I don't have a freaking clue of what they are talking about. I mean, dude, let's not complicate life. Just say what you want in simple terms, and can you please skip the glum? The film has a shroud of gloom all around it and a dab of sarcastic humor. Makes me regret the lost hours I spent in front of the TV.

The main point of this story is that a straight friend let me borrow this copy of Angels in America. He's the typical butch of a guy: athletic, plays basketball and tennis, hollers when drunk, etc. He's married to his wonderful wife and has a nice kid. Aww, ok...he's cute...which makes everything a big deal. Anyway, I am just so proud of him for finishing the movie. There are some homoerotic scenes and a lot of lip action in this one, not to mention EVERYTHING is too gay to be taken seriously. The plot, the characters, the dialogue seems to jot out from a pink brain with a feathered pen...and I never thought a straight man like him is willing to devote his time to this piece of junk. He didn't like it THAT much but hell, I can give him a standing ovation for such an achievement. No pun intended there.

Bottomline: I'm proud of my friends. Straight or otherwise. I'm glad I didn't have to make friends with assholes and imbeciles who think that the pride march is a sign of the apocalypse. I'm glad that they give me the emotional and moral support I always need (thanks to my luck). Better yet, I don't need to ask them for that. They just give it away and let me consume it right from their very hands.

I wanted to go to America to invest. Invest in a financially secure future through a secure, stable job. It hurts to realize that I'm a 28-year old doctor here in our country without a car (well, scrap it, i don't drive anyway), a bank account and a stable job. I wanted to go where the big bucks are but still I find myself in same spot. It drives me mad that every step in pursuing that "investment venture" leads to frustration and a battered ego.

But, as the Spamalot song goes: Always look at the bright side of life. I haven't succeeded in doing that investment yet, but I do have a lot of emotional investment going around here. Good investments. Instant reward. I have my friends.

I need no Angels in America, cause I've got it all here.

No comments: