Thursday, April 19, 2007

It's 4AM and I just ate kare-kare

Yeah, talk about food trip. Kare-kare is one of the most revered dish in the Philippines. Beef stew in peanut sauce. Its overrated I think because I grew up with my lola's and mom's kare-kare, which is cooked according to my grandma's Bulacan roots. My mom's kare is so bland that you cannot eat it on its own. You have to eat it with bagoong (shrimp paste) to really appreciate it. I think it was overrated when I was growing up, hence, I'm not actually excited when Ging told me that Kit made some.

But this one is different. I've been away from home for one month now and I can use a break from all the Chinese and American takeout food that I've been gobbling for a month. Kit's kare-kare was so great, I had to smoke a good cig after dinner. And yeah, its 4AM here. Ging just got home from a toxic call in the ER and fetched me from Arvin's place. When we got home, that's the first thing we did. And it was MEAN!!! I love the kare!!

But seriously, you have to forgive me for pigging out early in the morning. I totally skipped lunch today and had a small dinner consisting of Chinese take out. I had a few crackers for my hunger pangs, but that's about it for my calorie intake. I have to lose weight. I'm not THAT fat but I feel like lugging around a belt bag with this abs of mine. So, I told myself: Cut the calories or else live in humiliation.

I could use another serving for breakfast, though. Yum!

No comments: