Monday, July 09, 2007

Lisa Rinna Should Go Back To Melrose Place

Horrible! Horrible!!!

There is a great pressure when you stage a musical such as Chicago since there's a film you have to struggle against. This production I watched, however, never rose to the challenge. They never bothered to challenge it even. Everything was so lame in this production, so bad that I wanted to leave the theater during the intermission break. They wrecked the piece! And I feel absolutely disgusted!

A show like Chicago should be treated with R-E-S-P-E-C-T. The plot is flawless, the book is excellent and the choreography (Bob Fosse fame) is a classic. Its a classic. I keep watching All That Jazz on youtube because it never fails to entertain me. I actually went to see Bob Fosse's choreography in this one (since the story is not much a surprise...I watched the film around...ummm...15 times). But they made a HUGE mess!!! *banging head on the table*

There are a lot of heavy set, insanely muscular dancers casted and I think they are awful on stage. Where are the graceful jazz dancer spines? the toned muscular backs of jazz dancers? Their bulk destroyed the form...which I value more than the rhinestones in Velma's shoes. And let's not talk about Velma and Roxie in this one. They are the most detached, most apathetic, dull actors I've watched in Broadway EVER.

So, I'll give this one NEGATIVE five stars. Watch and puke all over the floor.

No comments: