Monday, November 05, 2007

Interview #1 down

I had my first interview last Thursday in Pennsylvania. I had a great time, actually. One of the attendings who interviewed me is an OB-GYN and we talked about my experiences as a community obstetrician. She is also apparently a musician, so we did have a common ground to walk upon. She was nice to me and I can see that she is, well, impressed with my clinical experience. The other attending is a behavioralist and has a BA in English. I can say that we can talk the whole day. We went past the 45 minute time for my interview and I can feel that I can talk to her until 5am the next morning, but I guess I need a lot of booze past 12. Anyway, we talked about books and my recommendations for her. We talked about humanities in which I am truly interested more than medicine. My medical career had failed me in a million ways that I can think of. I don't think a book failed my expectations ever. So we talked about that and my interest in books tackling cultural assimilation and psychology. I think I got her. Jerry Mcguire might have been caught with hello, but I caught her with Dogeaters (Jessica Hagedorn's book about the Marcos regime).

Nevertheless, I am not still saved from the search. Each of them asked if I could really speak Spanish. 'Cause it says so in my application. Sure, I can speak some Spanish but I am not yet fluent. Yet. I am still working on it. ALthough I pressured myself in learning the language prior to the interview in the aim of shedding truth in my working application, it wasnt enough by the time I had the interview. But, now I am still perfecting my spanish and learning 20 words everyday.

For those who think that Spanish is easy and would resemble our vernacular, you are a deliberate ignoramus. It is not easy , nor amorous. I had never found conjugating verbs as tedious as conjugating paramecia. (That's easy, dump them in a hay infusion and --tada--4 million paramecium by conjugation and of course, cell division. Now, you can tell that I really am a geek). Dang, I used to hate gerunds and other stupid English parts of speech but I never thought I would hate VERBS that much. Que asco!

Anyway, I just hope my interview went well and consider me as a family medicine resident in their hospital. I don't really care if I'll be staying in Lebanon,PA for 3 years (Hello, cows and salami). It is just such a relief that New York and 42nd Street is 3 hours away. Let's see in a few weeks.


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: