Friday, February 08, 2008

Freaky Friday

I am officially freaking out today (yes, coincidentally, it's a friday) because my laptop just decided that it will dim itself. He started this 2 days ago, then, all of a sudden when I turned it on this morning, after seeing the Compaq splash screen and the Windows boot scrolling thingofmajigs, it conked out. I could still see the desktop, but I am not planning to shine a flashlight the whole day while I edit my work. So, from the then on, I went downhill.

I am supposed to have work this afternoon, but I ditched it. I should have gone to Makati today and work on my new assignment, but I ditched it. I am supposed to have a dinner symposium thing for Unilab in Manila Polo Club this evening, but I prefered to figure out what is wrong with my Compaq. So, I ditched it as well. Right now, I still have stress hormones and cathecolamines circulating in my system.

Well, the good thing is I finally learned what is wrong. After hours in the tech forums, I learned that the FL inverter board of the LCD should be replaced. Before that, I called the HP service center and actually asked about the cost of making my compaq well again! Lo, and behold -- diagnostic fee costs 1,200 bucks!! Then, if I do want it serviced, there's a labor fee of 1,600 pesos plus the cost of the part to be replaced. I was shocked. I refuse to pay 1,200 for diagnosis fee for something I already know, and my Compaq is already 3 years old, a good age to bring it rather to the talyer instead of these expensive service centers. In techno parlance, that means my Compaq is going to Greenhills.

I can't believe the exorbitant prices for repair services. I guess they figured that laptop owners have money in their pockets, so might as well rip them off and make the most profit from repairing their toy. I am one exception to the rule though. I don't have money to burn and if ever I do, burning it for a computer repair service is in the least of my expenditures.

I am practically swamped with work and it's a fret to do research without my trusted laptop. I honestly don't know if I could transfer my Zotero bookmark, notes and files to my laptop. Probably not, so that is what's bugging me right now. I have to stick to one computer in doing my research work and that means sticking with this desktop and feigning the thought of bringing work on the road. Ugh. What a mess.

Oh well. My blog is getting full of rants these days, and I dont think it's cyberhealthy. Well, there are a lot of changes going on with my life right now and I am coping with it and trying to live 5 months with the stress in Manila. I hope I get out of here in one piece.

It's a Friday night, I am at home, working. That. Is. Freaky.

No comments: