Thursday, May 31, 2007

Memorial Day Was Spent Visiting My Childhood Memories...Not Veterans

Memorial day was sunny and everything nice. Carlos phoned me the night before and ask me if I would like to come and have a barbeque with his family in this upstate park in NY. I said yes cause Jeff will probably sleep the whole day after a night float. Anyway, we're supposed to go to Bear Mountain but one of our companions has a dog. Unfortunately, wild life is already threatened in that park, I assume, so we ended up spending the afternoon in FDR park, which is 40 miles north of their place in the Bronx.

Generally, it was a slow day. But slow is nice, after all the partying I did during my BIRTHWEEK. (No, my mother didn't bear down that long but celebration for the big 3-Oh lasted for a week. And...I was delivered via C-section. My mom didn't have Shakira hips.)We ate, slept, played Nintendo DS and had an hour stroll which really fired up a tan. I wasn't planning to get burnt and I didn't have the faintest idea that it would be fun playing dumb computer games again.

It was also Carlos' birthday! I remember when we were kids, he goes to my house for my birthday and after five days, I would go to his house for his birthday. We were young then. Once upon a time, our problem was mainly keeping ourselves busy while waiting for the high school freaks to fill up the school bus. We once bought a box of firecrackers and almost set the bus tires on fire. We got caught, but he was casted into the fire 'cause back then, he was the rowdy one and I am the goody-two-shoes, overachiever kid who would never do such a thing (so they thought). God, that was fun. Now he has a cute kid (Allyson) and a Subaru on turbo engine. Things stayed the same after two and a half decades from prep school: I have the world on my shoulders and he always had one thrill of a ride.

And now I wish it was the other way around.

No comments: