Tuesday, May 29, 2007

No, They Didn't Attend My Birthday Party But I Wish They Did

They're Jonathan and Lea from the first (take note) broadway musical I've seen since I got here. I've heard of Spring Awakening from my friends and it's been my wish to see this new musical from Duncan Sheik (my, he's so old now). Actually, my goal in going to the US is to look for a job and if all fails, watch this show. I never told my mom that, though. She might have fainted and cursed me to hell.

I'm happy that I got my wish three days after my birthday. It was a nice diversion after welcoming my big 3-Oh and realizing that I still live with my parent's subsidy. Gosh, that sucks. Getting student rush tickets didn't help that much, either. Getting a partial view of the stage really makes you suck your breath and sigh for all the things you can afford for now. (Operative word here is for now.)

So there, it was my birthday a week ago and I did celebrate for a week. I finished my exam before that that's why I had a lapse of inactivity in this site. The exam was so freaking hard. I literally want to strangle my friends who told me it was easy. Right now, I'm doing all those novenas and pray that my educated guesses really went to school. I need a deus ex machina and I hope its all in the works right now.

Okay, Spring Awakening: I had expectations...some were met, yes, but I think I wasn't ready for this kind of musical when I entered the Sullivan theater. Well, I just thought that it would be another musical like Wicked or Avenue Q in which the songs were made to tell the story. In Spring Awakening, its more like a Duncan Sheik album that was sang onstage and made a story fit for it. It was the other way around. I guess for me it wasn't a musical, but rather more like a concert play. I find Sheik's lyrics too flowery and too detached for a musical. There is generally a lot of abstraction in his lyrics which is, for me, hard to come from a play that supposed to tell a story or resolve a conflict. Neither it was conversational nor narrative. Also, the conflict was presented vaguely that I didn't have the urge to see Act two. Coming of age is not really a conflict, cause everyone goes through it, so I didn't really see the point. But that's just me and I sat through Act Two.

Put some sense on this, will you, and educate me:
O, I'm gonna be wounded.
O, I'm gonna be your wound.
O, I'm gonna bruise you.
O, you're gonna be my bruise.

This is supposed to be a romantic song but I can't...just can't get it. Is it because I read wound and bruise in a medical point of view? Or Duncan is too lame for a more sensible metaphor? That is where all the unmet expectations came from. All objections are overruled at this point, thank you, cause basically, this is my fucking blog. I doubt any major record label would like to release the song.

Anyway, it was filled with eye candy and butt exposure that is worth my dough. So I don't care about the content at all. (shrugs jokingly) The play has 11 tony nominations and I would like the guy who played Moritz to win. He sings The Bitch of Living and he's the most stable (vocally) among the cast.

It was a nice birthday and I have to tell the past week's events soon.



No comments: